Prologue: Memoirs, Part 4  

Posted by Timothy Carstensen

Camp was always a highlight for us! I remember when we first got our tent trailer, going to the place and comparing different ones... I remember many many good friends we camped with and many different places too!

I know my memories of Plumas Eureka are by far my favorites, but there were at least four other campgrounds I remember specifically, one with a lake that we raced across in paddleboats and an arcade and lots of deer, another with a larger lake that we walked around (where I caught a pet snake! At least I think I did - dad may have caught it and given it to me - I'm not entirely sure. But he was with me, so he would know. It was a water snake, and I brought it back and kept it in our inflated rubber boat for a while. Never did end up keeping it though. Loved boating in that thing! I remember we rented a real boat (with a motor) at that campground too! And did I mention we watched Shrek in an outdoor theater - was an awesome experience!

I miss all the friends I made on those camping trips - friends whose names I can't recall, and who's faces I might not place - but I remember some of the fun times we had together! This encourages me to invest more in my friendships now - I don't want to ever have to say that about any of my present friends!

Plumas Eureka was the best! Even though my strongest memory of camping there was when we got mom lost on the mountain, and looking for her for hours hoping and praying for the best, I still loved the mountains and trees and rivers and lakes up there more than any other place we tried. The hikes were always beautiful, and our friends were always amazing, and through the pranking and swimming and hiking and creekwalking and singing and storytelling and smore making and cooking and dishwashing and exploring and biking and games, it was by far my favorite place! I won't soon forget the big rock bluff on the lower campground that opened to the meadow, or the swimming hole we all loved that dried up four or five years ago, or the crafts and tours we went on, or the amazing bakery we went too twice, or even the Sand Ponds that we frequented years back. I also remember the geocaching we did, both at camp and at home - that was lots of fun!

I remember our church starting up - with 72 people on the first day! It was a good start! We had lots of friends there - even the neighbors came to join us! It was in September or November of '02, I think, and we kept a big crowd going. I remember printing out programs with songs on them, and then when we got the old red hymnals to use. We kept them for quite a while! In fact, I don't think we actually got rid of them until last year, even though we replaced them five or six years back with newer blue ones. The hymnals lasted us for quite a while, and when we met the Cole/Hussey/Erickson/Ware (CHEW) gang, we got the projector set up for the worship songs (thank you again for such wonderful leadership, Mr Cole!).

I remember all the potlucks we used to have too! Those were fun! We used to have them pretty often, but we slowed down. We met the Coles and the Husseys at one of the potlucks, after they had visited the church, and I still remember that potluck like it was a month ago! It was awesome meeting so many cool new friends, but I think it was wrestling Chris and Sammy and Jake (the fact that all the other Cole and Hussey kids were the ages of my siblings kind of stuck me in their category, as far as friends go) that first day (they did beat and wear the marbles out of me - I still remember feeling sick that evening) that planted the beginnings of a long, funny and awesome friendship between us! Although I have to say, it wasn't until I met Miles and my Morrison brothers that I actually felt like I had peers, per se... but all of my friends are my peers, not just the ones in my age range. Though, as far as peerishness goes, I'd have to say that Miles and Sam and Ben took the friend cake!

I remember meeting the Ericksons at the park flying a kite, and Miles at the park playing basketball. That finished off the CHEW group of our friends, and everyone started attending Grace Fellowship soon after, and we were tight forever and ever! (depending what your definitions of 'tight' and 'forever' are!)

Church lasted for about 8 or 9 years till last fall, when, as a result of God's leadership, the church dissolved temporarily, and many people found new churches. By the time Grace fellowship was up and running, only four families were still in attendance, but where two or more people are gathered...

I miss my friends at Elmira Baptist, and in the Faith Homeschool group, and in the speech and debate circles, and at camp, and at Summit in Colorado... I miss my friends from church too! I will try and stay in contact with friends as long as possible so that I don't lose anybody else! I love to hear from all my pals, so if you have a free moment, don't hesitate to send me an update about you! Its reassuring that your not drifting away!

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 at Thursday, April 15, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Great memoirs so far, Tim!

April 17, 2010 at 4:09 AM

You definitely could be a writer.

-You haven't lost us Hussey's. Even though we're 2 states away. We think about you guys all the time. I have often opened and re-opened those sweet memories of parkdays and potlucks :).

Keep up the blogging, as much as you can! I really look forward to reading future posts. :)

April 17, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Thanks guys! It means a lot that your still hanging around my notes and posts! I know I haven't lost you guys!

April 21, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Post a Comment